Monday, July 14, 2008

One year ago today.....

... I married the man of my dreams!! In a way, it seems like we've been married forever, but it feels like our wedding day was only yesterday! I have never learned so much in such a small period of time. Being married has been a blessing, but not always easy. I learned that God is gracious and I am not. I learned that real love really can conquer all. Last night I was lying in bed thinking about all the changes that have occurred since we got married... a year ago yesterday we would not lay in the same bed... Mike was not wearing a wedding ring (that was actually something that I had to get used to: "Oh, he's married... wait-- he's married to ME!!!)... a year ago yesterday I never would have gone to the bathroom with the door open... and those are just a few of the many incredible changes. Mike never really does any housework unless he is asked several times, but then again I'm very particular in how I like things done... but then again I would NEVER touch the finances. That's all Mike. We are so very different, but I'm so glad. This has been the most wonderful year of my life, and I'm thankful for every moment... easy and hard.

I'd like to take this opportunity to list some amazing (and funny!) things about my sweet husband, Mike:


  • He's really smart with our money, and makes sure that every penny has a place. We hope to never be in debt! He is so dedicated to our budget which isn't so much fun sometimes, but we will have a house sooner rather than later because of this!

  • He can swish Listerine in his mouth for 5+ minutes without it burning his mouth. Amazing.

  • He likes his shirts folded in a certain way so that they fit just right in his drawers. I actually started folding my clothes that way now.

  • He chooses what he will wear each day by the order that it comes in his closet. I have to keep an eye on this sometimes because the shirt and pants don't always match.

  • He could watch Stargate for hours on end. Seriously, hours.

  • He has a deathly fear of poison ivy, oak, etc. Let's say a football rolls into a patch of green under a tree... even if he knows there's no poisoned leaves, he still won't go and get it. "But there might be poison ivy down there!"

  • He prays with me every night before we go to sleep.

  • He prays with me every morning when he leaves for work (even though I may be half asleep at the time!)

  • He doesn't like to take credit for very much... "I'm just doing my job. God should get the credit."

  • He takes such good care of me by always taking my truck in for an oil change... I've never been good about that.

  • He likes to eat eggs "over easy," which I learned does NOT live up to it's name. After a year of marriage, I can finally do it without breaking the yolk most of the time. (why can't he just like them scrambled??)

  • He is a gadget junkie... if it has LED lights included in it, he's all over it.

  • He has the amazing ability to eat straight out of a bag of chips and stop before he's had too much to eat. I'll just keep eating until someone takes the bag away from me.

  • He has to be the undisputed KING of to-do lists. As I go through bags of papers in the den to decide what needs to be shredded, I find to-do lists from activities we did back in 2006. Some are pieces of paper folded up with 1 thing written on them, and some have 20+ items. As long as I've known him, he keeps crazy to-do lists, and they're very detailed. They even include things like "clip my toenails" and "pray with Rachel."

  • He'll use the same bath towel for like 4 days straight. Ewww. Yeah, I know it saves laundry and we use it to dry our clean bodies, but ewww.
  • When he comes in the door after a long day at work, even before I see his face I hear him call out, "Who's my pretty girl?"

  • He looks very handsome when he comes home from the barber shop with a fresh haircut.

OK so that's all I can think of right now... but I know that there are more! I love you sweet Michael!


(Now we can eat that frozen cake in the freezer that's taking up about 10 cubic inches of space!! Maybe we can have ice now!)

No comments: