Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Recent Reviews

For anyone who doesn't know, Mike and I really enjoy going to the movies. We don't eat out a lot, we don't go to expensive events or anything like that, but we do enjoy a nice matinee at the movies. There is a Regal Cinema within walking distance from our apartment complex and it has been a great way to get away from the apartment, get some exercise, and have a few laughs. In the past 2 weeks we saw 2 movies that I felt compelled to blog about, as they both stirred up thoughts that I wanted to share. So here goes:

The Dark Knight
One word: DARK

Overall, I liked the movie. And I'll admit that I bought the hype. However, I think that it should have received an "R" rating. We rarely see a movie that causes me to bury my head in Mike's shoulder so often. Seriously! Heath Ledger was freakishly scary as the Joker, and really made Jack Nicholson's version of the Joker 20 years ago look like Ronald McDonald. As I watched his portrayal of this sick, loony villain, I could only imagine what frame of mind he had to get himself into in order to play that character. The sound mixing in this movie was incredible-- I love going into a theater and the walls shake from the intensity of the sound. The movie was also very long... CAUTION-- POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD-- with the introduction of Two-Face, I figured that we would have another movie on our hands, but no, it just dragged on. This definitely could have been 2 movies. And I thought it was weird that they had Maggie Gyllenhall (spelling is wrong, I'm sure) play the character of "Rachel," when Katie Holmes played her in the first movie. I get annoyed when movies and TV shows try to do that. Case in point, "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (the 2 Vivians). Despite all of this, I would still give it 4 stars.

Mamma Mia!
One word: Obnoxious

OK so when it comes to movies made of Broadway musicals, I am extra critical, but no less hopeful. I knew the plot of the show going into it, and this is one of those movies where you just have to check your brain at the door and enjoy it. But that's hard sometimes. I must preface by saying that I'm not a huge fan of some of the songs, but I know good music when I hear it. As a whole, the movie was fun, colorful, energetic, and the scenery was beautiful. But the casting was all wrong (the leading girl was good, but looked way too young for the part), the timing was inconsistent (it was never clear when this story takes place), and the music was somewhat ruined by... well... casting!

Being a Broadway musical fanatic, I become very annoyed when Hollywood studios make movies out of musicals, and hire actors who can kind of sing. They get big names in order to bring people into the theaters, and the actors butcher the music. Back in the olden days, if an actor couldn't sing, they valued the music enough to find someone who could sing, and dubbed the voice. For example, the same woman was the singing voice for Deborah Kerr in "The King and I," Natalie Wood in "West Side Story," and Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady." Have you noticed that? The music was beautiful and the acting was also good. But now it's hard to find a good musical... Last summer, "Hairspray" was the big blockbuster, and it was good overall. But oh my gosh Amanda Bynes could NOT handle the part of Penny... she's a white girl who has a deep, soulful singing voice that really catches Seaweed's attention. And it didn't work. Several good examples of recent musicals-to-movies were "Rent," "Dreamgirls," and "Chicago." The makers of "Rent" did the smart thing and hired most of the original cast of the show, which made it amazing. "Dreamgirls" is one of my absolute favorite movies and not only could all of the actors sing, but they sang WELL. And who doesn't love "Chicago?" Richard Gere was a little iffy, but the rest of the cast was pretty good.

As a whole, I enjoyed "Mamma Mia!" but only because I let myself. I was disappointed that the music was somewhat disrespected (whoever didn't put Meryl Streep's songs in her key should be fired). However they did cast Christine Baranski who is always hilarious. I love her. And SHE can sing. :)

OK, stepping down from the soapbox. I would give this movie 2.5 stars.

Any thoughts?

No comments: