Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8 Divided by Two Equals Train Wreck

In the past few years, one of my favorite TV shows has been Jon & Kate Plus 8. Watching those little cuties grow up, learn new phrases, and function as a crazy family unit is pure entertainment. But recent events have turned me into one of those people who will probably never again tune into this show.

Mike and I have watched it together many times, and even before we were married, I told him, "I will NEVER speak to you like that in private or in public," regarding the way that Kate treats Jon like a child and is always very hard on him. Mike has often teased me that I'm like Kate in some ways, and he's like Jon. I'm a little weird about germs and I like to make everything from scratch and use as many organic items as possible... and Mike is very low-key about stuff sometimes. But that's where the similarities end.

Did anyone have a chance to see Monday night's season premiere of the show? It was extremely uncomfortable to see the obviously distant Jon and Kate at their childrens' birthday party, pretending to have a good time. It was painful to watch... they had papparazzi hiding in the bushes, following them to Target, and catching all the awkward moments. The husband and wife didn't even acknowledge eachother's presence, except when Kate needed Jon to do something for her.

It bothers me when tabloids annoy people like this, but these are not people who originally intended to be celebrities, but have turned into them. It's a slippery slope, and they have been sliding down it for some time now. Last month I bought and read Kate's book, Multiple Bles8ings, and thoroughly enjoyed it. She came across in the book as being very real, and after reading it, I feel like I know her. The book helped me to better relate to the Manleys, a family in our church who had quints over a year ago... helped me to learn about the emotions that their mother may have gone through, and may be going thru at this time. The Gosselins claim to be a Christian family, but hey- infidelity, deceit, etc can happen to anyone if they are not strong enough in their faith to fight it off.

I was in denial about all of this because the tabloids were the ones reporting everything, but once Kate's brother Kevin and sister-in-law Jodi came out to the media about what was going on, I knew everything was truly going downhill. I still don't want to believe it all, but this stuff happens.

Despite all of this, they continue to film the show. TLC (The Learning Channel) is famous for providing a great deal of variety in their reality shows, and they are not usually trashy like others... after I watch a TLC show, I often don't have the "my brain is going to melt from inactivity" feeling that I get from watching shows on Bravo or MTV. TLC needs to halt all the filming and leave them alone to deal with their issues. Nobody in their right mind wants to see a family crumble, especially when 8 kids are in the middle of it. I really hope that they get some Godly counsel and can work things out... but after seeing the interviews on Monday night's season premiere, they couldn't even look at each other. Sad.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this post, these are just my feelings. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Jessica McCoy said...

I have watched a few episodes in the past but couldn't stand how she treated him. I understood a little of where she was coming from trying to organize such a large family but it just seemed that she lumped John in there with the kids instead of placing him as the Head of their household and showing him the respect he needed as her husband.
When I heard about what is currently going on I didn't believe it because you can't believe 90% of what you read in those tabloids. Whether anything happened or not I'm still not sure and we may never know but I think they should take some time away from the show to fix their family instead of worrying about the show. But I guess they may be in a contract.

Julia said...

Monday devastated me. And with as many reality shows I've watched in the past involving "uncomfortable moments", I really felt like I was intruding watching them talk about their marital problems. I don't think they even should have talked about it on air. What does it accomplish? We, the public, don't really need to know their business. As far as I'm concerned, they should take it to the great Counselor.

I really feel no remorse for Kate...like you said, she's horrible to Jon. And during the episode she chose to snidely mention several times how she was doing the birthday party all by herself, alone. How many single parents, or parents where a husband or a a wife have to hold down multiple jobs just to feed their children? She's awfully self-righteous. And when she mentioned that her kids have started calling her by the babysitters name on accident, and how it crushed her? I've got a solution for that...end the book tour, and stay home with your kids! Sheesh.

I'd be sad to see the show go, as I've enjoyed it immensely. BUT...I'd rather their marriage work out for the benefit of their family. I don't see it happening...but I think TLC should pull the show from it's summer lineup.