Friday, May 8, 2009

Political Post

I've had one brewing for a LONG time, and I'm still going to hold back because I have a LOT more to say than I will express on this blog. Some of it is not exactly Christ-like, so I'll just hold on to it.

The question that keeps coming back to my mind over and over is:
"How can someone be a Bible-believing Christian and support Barack Obama?"
If someone has the answer to this, I would love to hear it. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. It seems that most Christians with whom I attend church are conservatives, but I know there are some Liberals out there. Moderates even. That's fine. I can still love them as Christian brothers and sisters.... but I will always have a hard time understanding how they can explain relating their faith to their political opinions. Now I know that we all make mistakes... I make small decisions every day that I immediately regret, and realize that they are sinful. But I do my best to not continue to live that way.

I just don't understand how someone can call themselves a Christian when they fully support a President who is in favor of the following:
-Abortion- not just in our countries, but he repealed a law that bans sending money overseas to help people in other countries get abortions... countries to which we are trying to reach with the GOSPEL of HOPE.
-Embryonic Stem Cell research- this all begins with an abortion
-Socialized Healthcare- Man, you shouldn't get me started on this one... basically I will be paying for other people's healthcare with my hard-earned money... illegals even. Why do you think people come to the US from abroad to get healthcare? We have the best system in the world. Why are people dying in Mexico of Swine Flu? Poor healthcare. They have to wait in line for drugs. People in Great Britain are dying of cancer b/c they can't get the medicine they need b/c the government won't get it to them. Do you want your doctor's office to someday look like the Social Security office or the Dept of Motor Vehicles? Sure, it would be great for everyone to have healthcare, but that's not the way it works. Sorry. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Get a job that offers you benefits, or get private healthcare. There are always options. To rely on the government is just plain silly.
-Redistribution of wealth- again, I'll eventually be paying for the bum on the street who doesn't want to work for a living. Oh, and the illegals again.

And these are just a few. You may be thinking, "What do those last 2 have to do with believing the Bible? Aren't we supposed to help the poor?" And the answer is YES. But that is something that should be left up to us, personally. It is not something that should be mandated by the government. That's what non-profit organizations are for. Think of how many organizations are out there, who may start suffering because of lack of funds once these required taxes are taken our of our paychecks. People may not be able to afford to donate to various organizations. It is as if the government mandates everyone in the country to spend a certain amount of hours serving at a soup kitchen each year, depending on how much money they make. Sound fair? Not really.

Now I haven't lived through very many presidents, but I have tried to pray for each one every day. However, this has been the most difficult one. It is so hard to pray for someone who stands for everything you are against, and is against just about everything that you stand for. How can I support a man who signs the declaration for the National Day of Prayer in silence? It's as if he's doing it just to appease people like me. To "reach across the aisle" I guess. Like his arm was twisted. It makes me absolutely sick to see where our country is headed, and can't believe that I'm praying for the man who is pointing us in that direction. I don't think I've ever been so challenged in that way. Please, fellow Christians, R or D, join me in praying for this man and his staff.

OK so I think I'm done. Like I said, I have many more opinions, but it is probably best that I keep them to myself. These are my opinions, and these are my struggles. And I welcome feedback.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Rachel -
I agree with you 100%.

I've been trying to think positively instead of highlighting the things I don't approve of - trying to show that it's different than when everyone did nothing but complain about our last prez.

But there is so much that he's doing that is just WRONG.

How can he apologize to the Arab nations? How can he meet with Chavez? And stem cells - they've proven that other forms are JUST as good as embryonic, so why is that even an option?

Oh, I could go on. :o)

You're not alone!