Monday, May 4, 2009

Nothingness

So yeah, there's nothing to really blog about. I'm still here. Mike's still there. And will be for another 4 weeks. This is the most un-fun thing EVER. However, Pastor Mark's sermon yesterday really encouraged me, and I told Mike to get on www.yourchurch.com to hear it. Something my Dad would always say in the face of a trial or disaster, "You know, God is not surprised by this." True.

Pastor Mark delivered a message from Matthew 2 about the state of affairs in Jesus' region after he was born. Herod was in control. Herod was also nuts. He ordered the slaughter of all those baby boys under 2. So when Herod got threatened and freaked out, so did the people of his kingdom. There were 3 main points that I took away from this, and I want to share them:

1. God is unstoppable, in control, and always a step ahead, even when we don't see it.
2. Jesus is opposed- actively or passively- by those who are threatened by them.
3. Opposing Jesus- actively or passively- is treason either way. Yikes.

That first one is the most applicable for us right now. Mike has been away for 11 weeks so far, and by the end of this whole thing, it will be about 15 weeks. Why would God do this? Why would he have us apart for so long? If I learned one thing from Pastor Mark's series on Job, DON'T ASK GOD WHY.

You know how when we plan, God laughs? Well I have some ideas of positive things that have come out of our separation. The negatives are obvious, so I won't focus on those. So here they are. Go ahead and laugh, God! My feelings won't be hurt.
1. Mike has become so independent and learned a whole new culture all by himself. He has been given a chance to travel, almost all on an expense account.
2. Frequent Flyer miles... I think as of right now we have enough for 4 round-trip tickets anywhere in the continental US.
3. If Mike hadn't been in England for an extended period of time, then I never would have been able to visit, and wouldn't have a nifty stamp on my passport. (first one!)
4. Since Mike left, I have been more diligent in my quiet time than ever before. And even when he was back for a week visiting, I was still able to keep it up. I may actually read through the whole Bible this year!
5. This has given me more time to spend with my single girlfriends and encourage them in their walks with Christ.
6. God could be protecting Mike from Swine Flu here in the US. You never know.
7. I was sick for the past 2 weeks with allergies that caused a severe cough, often waking me up in the middle of the night several times, as if I was choking. This would not have been good if Mike were in the bed next to me.
8. Plainly put, the apartment stays cleaner with just me. And trust me, I make enough mess for 2 people, but when it is just me, I tend to be neater.

Well lookie there! There IS something for me to blog about! Hopefully in this time apart, Mike and I will continue to grow personally, and then share what we've learned when this whole ordeal is over.

In Mike's absence, though, I have found a new 24 buddy! My friend Jennifer came over last week to watch it with me (b/c neither of us like watching it alone) and we're going to try to make it an every-week type of thing!

May is getting bizzzzzzzzzzy though. I'll try to keep up with the blogging. But then again don't I always say that?

Rachel <><

1 comment:

Troy & Sherry said...

rachel -
we will be praying for you guys - i don't know what i would do if troy was gone for 1 day....God's grace is sufficient :)
let us know if you need anything.
Sherry & the boys